The Porter Page

I went to college at Northland, then came home and married my wonderful husband, Sam, in 2004. We currently live in Honolulu, HI with our dog Magnum.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A Day On The Boat

Ok, I guess I should tell all of you about our boating excursion yesterday. :-) For our anniversary Sam got his boating license and took me to the Sand Bar in Kaneohe Bay. Also called Ahu o Laka or "The Sand Bar". This famous area of fine white sand near the center of the bay emerges during low tide, making a unique playground. It's like a beach in the middle of the ocean! It is 60 ft thick and 1.2 mi long. It is about 1 mile offshore. (For those of you who like details) Often, on weekends, boats line up on the downwind side of this bar. Since it was a Monday, we practically had the whole area to ourselves. When we first arrived at 8:30 in the morning, the tide was in, meaning two to three feet of water covered all the sand. We tried to take Magnum out in the water with us (on the boogie board) but he hated the water! He got so scared, and kept swimming back to the boat. So we let him get back into the boat, and Sam and I went exploring. We are only a few feet from the boat when my leg starts stinging. I stopped and asked Sam to look at it but he said nothing was there. So we kept on walking, but after a while I was like, THIS REALLY HURTS!!! So we head back to the boat and on the way we see the cause of my problem... a Portuguese Man-o-war! If you don't know what they are check this link out.(http://www.aloha.com/~lifeguards/portugue.html)
So we get back on the boat and pull up anchor and find ourselves a different spot to snorkel in. While snorkeling we saw tons of sea turtles and beautiful fish. The pictures I put up yesterday were from the digital camera, but we also had an underwater camera with us. Hopefully, I'll get those pictures developed soon cuz I think we have some shots of the turtles. So, we were out on the boat all day, from 8:30am to 4:30 pm. Sam and I both put on sunblock, but we both got burnt to a crisp! I have never been burnt this bad in my life! I am so miserable. I think all the getting in and out of the water washed away all our WATERPROOF sun block. I oughta sue. :-) Other than getting extra crispy, we had such a great time. So now when you guys come visit us (that's an open invitation to everyone) we have some place cool to take you. Now I'm off to put more aloe on my sunburn. (if you have any suggestions please let me know!) Love you all!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jocelyn Pagano said...

Christina,

I don't know if you remember me or not. I didn't know you that well at Northland while I was there. Anyways, I stumbled across your blog from Shyla's blog. I have now added several Northland students blog links to my blog page http://mplsmusings.blogspot.com/! Anyway, I have seen small jellyfish when we lived in New Jersey, but never been stung by one! Ouch!

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christina,

What happened after you got stung? Did you have to do anything to the area? What happened to Sam's leg?

Miss ya!

Yesenia

5:31 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Hey Jocelyn I do remember you and your family. I enjoyed all your pictures on your web site. Good to hear from you!
Yesenia, well my sting went away after a couple of hours, and we had to dock and get bandages for Sam's leg right after it happened. But we both got back in the water and enjoyed ourselves. :-) How are you doing? Are you still working at the school? Even during the summer? Let me know what's new with you. Oh and thanks for checking out my page. It's so nice having comments from you. I love you!!!! :-)

5:42 PM  
Blogger Katie Barker said...

Christina, what a super fun adventure. I would love taking underwater pics of the turtles! How fun.

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home