The Porter Page

I went to college at Northland, then came home and married my wonderful husband, Sam, in 2004. We currently live in Honolulu, HI with our dog Magnum.

Monday, October 16, 2006

EARTHQUAKE!

So Sam and I were awoken at 7:08 on Sunday morning, not by the sound of our alarm clock but by our bed shaking violently. We both just looked at each other and were like, "Is this an earthquake?" Well, it stopped shaking and we went back to bed! Hey, I'm not very bright in the mornings! Well, then we experienced another one, and this time Sam got up and went outside to investigate, and when he returned inside the power went out. So we just kinda sat there and I got up and started making some calls. I was supposed to sing that morning, so I wanted to know if we were still having Church. Ok how ironic is this... the song that I picked out 2 weeks ago was Till the Storm Passes Over. I kid you not! Anyway, we found out that we were still going to have Church, despite the lack of power, so I started to "get ready". Do you know how hard it is to tame curly, poofy hair with no electrical products! So I opted to a headband, and threw the rest of it up. I figured, Hey the power's out, no one will really see me. :-) By this time it was raining tons, and we make it to Church fine even with no working traffic lights. So, we had church, both morning and evening services, by flashlight and candle light. Sounds fun huh... well it would have been if it wasn't so incredibly HOT and MUGGY! I don't think anyone read the bulletin; they were just used as fans! Now I know some of you have to deal with snow already, well we had the opposite. Extreme heat, and no AC! Anyway we survived, nothing of ours was damaged, and we finally got power, and AC (PTL!), at 3AM! Needless to say I did not sleep well, I'm a snuggler (with the blankets!) and that was totally out of the question last night. :-) I know some of you tried to call, but all the phone lines were packed and it was hard for people to get through, so I'm letting you know we're ok! I got some pictures for our local newspaper, and I thought you guys might want to see them. Enjoy!

"THE 6.6-MAGNITUDE EARTHQUAKE RATTLED HAWAII JUST BEFORE 7:08 A.M. YESTERDAY, FOLLOWED BY A SECOND, 5.8 TEMBLOR AND DOZENS OF AFTERSHOCKS. THIS SEISMOGRAM WAS TAKEN AT THE "STEAM CRACKS" SEISMOMETER AT HAWAII VOLCANOES NATIONAL PARK"

~The Honolulu Star Bulletin


Some of the major damage included a 10- by 30-foot section of a highway that collapsed

And combined with all the rain, it also caused some land slides

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're well and have not lose your sense of humor inspite of all that's going on. Love ya!

8:41 PM  
Blogger sc3b said...

Well this kind of puts a damper on our "reunion" don't you think? ;) Glad to hear that you are OK. I hope this doesn't post twice...I tried yesterday and don't see it anywhere.

2:52 AM  
Blogger Jen and Mark said...

glad to see that you guys are okay - i saw it on the news and was wondering. love you!

3:58 AM  
Blogger Tad and Hannah said...

we wondered about you guys. we saw the news. glad to hear you guys are ok. Love you!

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you and Sam are fine. We were praying for the both of you.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Reads said...

Glad to see you both are ok. I thought of you guys when we saw the news of the quake. Sorry to hear about Sam having to go to Iraq. We'll keep you both in our prayers.
Trisha and Adam

5:30 AM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Glad to hear that you are okay! What an experience!

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home